Unexpectedly homeschooling because of Coronavirus school closures?
Overwhelmed by the unrealistic Instagram posts of people’s daily schedules?
Deep breath. You can totally do this!
We’ve compiled for you a list of 110+ awesome free educational resources to make this super easy.
And here’s more good news: homeschooling doesn’t have to be anything like actual school to be educational.
Click on a link (or three) below and start exploring with your younger kids.
And if your kids are old enough, you can give them the reins and let them explore what they find most interesting on this list. Language arts, math, chemistry, art and finances, it’s all here!
As a homeschooling parent, I’ve utilized many of these resources myself and have chosen these for you because they are:
- easy to use
- engaging and educational for the kiddos
- and best of all, free!
(Many of these are free all the time, some only while the schools are closed).
In my experience, I spend about 15-20 minutes per subject for elementary kids, but I don’t stop if they’re engaged and we’re delving into something in which they are showing a lot of interest.
Alright. Time to dive in. Click on any link below and let the learning joy begin!
PS: Do you have a favorite resource that I have not listed? Please let me know about it in the comments section below. Thank you!
For Kids of All Ages
Full Curriculum/Covers Multiple Subjects:
- Khan Academy: Math, science, engineering, humanities & more for K-12.
- Scholastic Learn-At-Home: Online books, corresponding videos, science & daily home projects for K-9.
- Lakeshore: Free printables, worksheets, lesson plans, writing prompts, crafts and more!
- 123 Homeschool for Me: Amazing printables, worksheets and how-to’s for every subject, K-8.
- Harry Potter at Home: Activities, games, puzzles, reading opportunities & more provided by JK Rowling.
- Education.Com: Free printables in many subjects, PreK-5.
- Third Space Learning: A great place to start, the blog breaks homeschooling down and many math resources can be found here, K-12.
- Knowledge on the Go: K-12 daily lessons in English, math, science & more.
- Time4Kids: Digital articles for K-6 from TIME magazine, available for the rest of the school year.
- Brain Pop: Trendy educational resources and videos in all subjects.
- AccessByte: Free for 45 days! Full apps for the deaf, blind, dyslexic or others with reading disabilities.
- Crash Course: A YouTube channel dedicated to 15 minute lessons that cover specific topics within a subject.
- Fun Brain: Mostly math & reading based games with many videos and books as well.
- Adventure2Learning: Two free months access with code LEARN60, this app covers educational subjects and topics including mindfulness.
- AllKidsNetwork: Free printables and crafts! PreK and up.
- BreakOutEdu: Online games for K-12 in science, coding, problem solving, history, social studies & more.
- Econ Ed: Free personal finance, economics, middle school math & read-along books for the younger kids.
- Ed Helper: Math, spelling, reading and coding printables for K-6.
- Curriculum Associates: Free reading & Math PDF packs by grade, K-8.
- Izzit: Online videos for K-12 covering a myriad of topics.
- Good & the Beautiful: Nonsecular curriculum & resources covering a range of subjects, K-12.
- Charlotte Mason Institute: A full (nonsecular) homeschool curriculum packet provided free during the closures.
- Simple Living: 100+ printables for multiple subjects.
- Teach This: ESL/EFL resources for a range of topics.
- BrigitteBrulz: A compiled list of virtual field trips.
- Code: Learn to create code in an hour, or explore computer science courses and videos. Even kids not reading yet can learn! K-12
- Mystery Science: Great science lessons and videos for K-5 and beyond.
- ST Math: Free online math curriculum for PreK-8.
- National Geographic Kids: Great science resource for K-8.
- Prodigy Game: An online level-up math game with pets and gear to upgrade, 1st-8th grade.
- PBS Kids: Online videos and games for kids with a newsletter for daily activities.
- Smithsonian: Online resources including science, labs, games & more.
- Discovery MindBlown: Science videos and episodes from Discovery.
- Amazing Space: Explore images and articles about all aspects of space.
- Math Game Time: Flash math games, no login required, K-7.
- Math Playground: No login required, just math-based games for K-6.
- Yellowstone National Park: Take a virtual tour of the park’s main attractions!
- Access Mars: See the surface of Mars from NASA’s Mars rover.
- Farm360: Take virtual tours of different kinds of farms and foods.
- San Diego Zoo: See the animals, do activities, play games!
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Watch live cameras of jellyfish, penguins, sea otters and more.
- CoolMath4Kids: Math games, lessons & quizes for K-6.
- AstroSTEM: Free astronomy videos, articles, and exploration of the universe with creation of a free account.
- Arcademics: Arcade math games for K-6.
- CoolMathGames: Flash math, strategy and skill games.
- Let’s Talk Science: Free resources and video channels available for STEM, space & science topics.
- STEM Buddies: STEM activities for kids through videos.
- Project Explorer: Videos covering science around the world for K-12.
- California Science Center: Do-at-home science projects with videos.
- Science Fun: More fun art & science experiments with explanations.
- Duolingo: Learn many languages, free, on their app or your computer.
- Audible: Stories with Audible provides free audiobooks, PreK-12+.
- BraveWriter: Writing prompts and creative writing activities free during the shut-down.
- Heifer International: Free PDF books and activities for kids.
- America’s Test Kitchen: Learn everything about food for all ages!
- Lunch Doodles: Author & Illustrator Mo Willems hosts a daily sketch so viewers can follow along.
- ColorOurCollections: An amazing collection of 113 museums & libraries that made their own coloring books, great for kids and adults.
- Hello Kids: Crafts, games, coloring pages, printables, videos & more.
- Entertainment On a Dime: 100 crafts and quick ideas for hands-on activities.
- Louvre: Take a virtual tour of France’s Louvre museum.
- Art4Kids: YouTube hub for kids learning to draw!
- Activity Village: Free printable packs on washing hands, Easter & more, K-6.
- CharacterStrong: A Kindness journal, a summit, motivational speakers & more for kids to build strong character.
- Coloring Nature: Free coloring pages for any age.
- CrazyAdventuresinParenting: Free printable packs for coloring & crafts with many Disney themes.
- Ballet Class with Tiler: Free online ballet classes hosted by Tiler Peck of NYC Ballet.
- Home Workouts: A list of YouTube channels that host online video workouts!
- GoNoodle: Movement and mindfulness videos for kids, exercise the brain & body!
- Life Love Action: A free kit to teach kids how to problem solve & manage their emotions.
- Food Network: Cook with your kids! Many recipes & videos available.
Specifically For Little Kids
- Starfall: Both app and online, many areas are free for kids to learn letter sounds, beginning math, kids songs and more, K-3.
- HowWeeLearn: Printable packs (new each week) for grades PreK-4, also videos, weekly live videos & homeschooling how-to’s.
- Edu Printables: PreK-3 reading, writing and math printables.
- Learning Without Tears: Free for a limited time, they offer PreK-5 resources for handwriting & keyboarding.
- Time for Learning: A blog post to help navigate printables, curriculum and homeschooling for younger kids.
- Guest Hollow: A homeschool PDF pack with projects for kids & homeschool curriculum.
- Laura Kelly Designs: Free printables for kids PreK-3 with coloring, word searches, health topics & more.
- Camp Kindness Counts: Free character & kindness-building guidebooks for kids.
- Breathe, Think, Do: For iPhone & iPad, this is a Sesame Street app for toddlers on emotional skills.
- Fish School: This iPhone app teaches numbers, letters, shapes and colors for toddlers.
- BreakOutEdu: Currently hosting a collection of free educational games.
- NASA Kid’s Club: Fun activities about space for K-4.
- Encantos: Online curriculum for geography with a bilingual option, great for PreK-2.
- SparkAcademy: Coding for K-5, use promo “schoolclosed” for 3 free months.
- Space Racers: Online resources for space activities, PreK-3.
- NOAA: Oceanography for the little kids through coloring pages, games & activities.
- Dog on a Log: Free printables on phonics & learning to read.
- Storytime from Space: Astronauts read stories from space!
- Storyline Online: Storytime with actors and actresses reading children’s stories.
- Storyberries: An online book, great for helping explain the COVID-19 school shut downs and quarantine, K-3.
- Little Kids Yoga: Free plans, poses, books and posters for ages 2+.
Specifically For Older Kids
- Coursera: Free online college courses hosted by universities, museums and trusts.
- TED-Ed: Free 10-minute (or shorter) videos on various topics with quizzes at the end.
- Academy4SC: Free videos covering topics in psychology, philosophy & civics for grades 6-12.
- TEL Learning: Free courses for high schoolers, though they offer paid options for college credit.
- Alison: Free online courses that offer certificates for completion in job fields and academia.
- edX: Offers free online college courses from many sources covering a range of topics.
- iTunes U: For iPhone and iPad, this offers a range of educational topics.
- MITOpenCourseWare: Highlighted for high school students, free online test prep and other courses.
- Harvard Extension: Free online courses through Harvard!
- Yale Courses: Intro-level college lectures and courses, free!
- MoneySkill: Have your kids take a course in finance for free, grade 7-12.
- Code Academy: Basic courses are free and you can learn to code web content, programming, or data science.
- Science Journal for Kids: Published science articles for 6-12.
- ChemMatters: Online articles on Chemistry for high schoolers.
- Juni Learning: Coding resources, free!
- Biology Simulations: Virtual labs and biology experiments for high schoolers.
- FunBasedLearning: Chemistry and Algebra games.
- CanFigureIt: A geometry resource for proofs and deductive reasoning.
- CoolMath: Online lessons for grades 6-12 in pre-calc and algebra.
- Fiveable: Livestream Q & A or discussions scheduled and hosted by real people.
- IBM: Free, live & online webinars exploring digital learning & computer topics.
- Ms Havrot: YouTube Calculus breakdowns.
- IDEA: Free online technology classes covering digital literacy.
- Summit Writing Academy: 30 Day Writing Challenge hosted here for older kids.
- Write the World: For budding writers to connect, get writing prompts and advice.