Change is never easy. In this fine parenting journey, I suspect that in addition to the many fulfilling victories, we will have our fair share of rough times too. I want to put down a few thoughts in writing NOW so they may serve as the guiding principles in times of need.
- The focus is on “action, not just knowledge”. Knowledge is good and necessary, but without action, it ain’t worth a diddly squat. So, focus on learning as much as possible, but more importantly, take the time to put what is learnt into action.
- The motto is “progress, not perfection”. Perfection is great, but when you don’t have the time to get to perfection, making progress, even a very small one, is better than no-action. This means that at first, I will probably make a lot of mistakes, but as far as I get one thing right, I will forgive myself for getting the other nine wrong.
- The approach is “consistent, baby steps”. I will pick one parenting skill/concept each month. Over the course of the month, I will break it up into small tasks and put it in action. Rinse, repeat.
- The spirit is to “share as much as possible, without compromising trust”. I will share the things I learn, the roadblocks I encounter, breakthroughs, setbacks etc. as I go along. I encourage you to share your experiences and the lessons you learn as well. That said, I will neither disclose anything personally, nor publish any reader stories, that might embarrass or put down family/friends or compromise trust. This is never going to be that kind of blog.
- The priority is “family first, everything else later”. While we are on the topic of family and friends, let me put this one down as well. I have a tendency to get caught up in a project and neglect everything else around me. This one is a reminder to myself that while this blog, and all you readers are awesome, I need to put my family first.
- I am NOT a parenting expert nor am I a personal development guru. Hopefully, the amount of time I am spending on this will make me something sooner or later!
- I do NOT have all the answers, but as you can see, I am on the quest to find them.
- I am NOT qualified in any way to give any sort of advice to anyone. I will share what I learn though. If some of it comes out looking like advice please take it with a pinch of salt 😉
- I WILL at some point monetize this blog. My daughter started going to daycare when she was 8 months old. I can never think of those first few months without a knot in my stomach. Since then, one of my long term goals has been to have more control over my time – without compromising my independence and self reliance. So, I will experiment with ways to monetize this blog. But since living with integrity is one of the core philosophies I am trying to develop for my life, I promise you that if/when I monetize this site, I will do it with integrity – I will never try to sell you crap for a quick buck.
- I WILL stick with this come what may. I can’t afford not to. I have a good kid, but she is amply blessed with the “spirited” and “strong willed” genes from both sides of the family. And I’ve got just one chance to get this right.
- I WILL be a better parent. No, not “I will raise a good kid”. That’s one of the things I am learning. The aim is to become the best guide possible and let them choose the course of their life.
- I WILL be a better person. Can’t be a better parent without becoming a better person first.
- Come join me, and you WILL be a better person and a better parent too. How could you not be, if you consciously make it a point to improve yourself and your parenting style with small consistent baby steps?
Are you in?
Sign up below to receive free updates right in your mailbox so you have a much better chance of success in this grand adventure!